Who are the Son's of Confederate Veterans?
After the end of The War Between the States, Confederate Veterans all across the South, and the entire United States, formed into independent groups. These groups addressed common goals of rehabilitation, pension applications, civic ceremonies, grave marking and cemetery care, preservation of the virtues of their cause and historic preservation. These groups came together to form the United Confederate Veterans (UCV). Each location was called a camp. Veterans of all races, Black, Hispanic, Native Americans and White shared membership in individual Camps. Reunions were held each year into the 1930’s, many in conjunction with the Grand Army of the Republic, the Union veteran’s organization.
In the 1890’s, it became obvious to UCV leadership that their members were becoming older, and unable to carry on the struggle for their own vindication. In 1896, the UCV established a new organization to take over the support and advocacy of Confederate soldiers, the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV). Today, the SCV is a vital and growing non-political, historical preservation organization. SCV International is a tax-exempt IRS listed 501 3c association and each Camp has their own IRS number. Camps exist around the world and in every state in the Union. Membership in these Camps is approximately, 35,000 including many prominent Americans. In Florida, there are 50 Camps and over 2,500 members.
In Brevard County, the Captain J.J. Dickison Camp 1387, was chartered in March 1982 and has approximately 50 members. The Camp holds monthly meetings and provides living history programs for elementary, junior and senior high schools. The Camp also conducts Confederate Memorial Day ceremonies at local cemeteries (soldiers of both sides are honored), sets up public library educational displays, provides speakers and living history presentations to civic groups, and conducts quarterly beach cleanups in Satellite Beach. The Camp maintains a period Color Guard equipped with Florida and Confederate historic flags for use in local parades and civic ceremonies. .